"Teversal is a village and parish in the Mansfield Union, situated on rising ground near the source of the river Meden, four miles west of Mansfield. In 1871 it contained 73 houses and 373 inhabitants."
[Wright's Directory of Nottingham and twelve miles round, pub 1874]
Teversal has been known by diverse names over the centuries. At the time of the Domesday Book it was recorded as Tevershalt; in 1204 it was spelt Teversholt and Tevershall by 1216; it has also been known as Tyversholtee (1337), Teversale (1349) and Tevershall (1562). In later years the more common forms were Teversall and Teversal, and the latter is the current spelling. The suffix of 'sal' is from an old Saxon word meaning 'a seat or dwelling, mansion, palace or hall', which indicated that some early landowner had a residence here.
In the Domesday Book Teversal is recorded as being part of the lands of Ralph, son of Hubert, who also owned land in Kirkby-in-Ashfield. Ralph had 2 ploughs and one freeman with one bovate. Nine villagers had 3½ ploughs. There was also one mill listed, valued at 16d. The mill was frequently associated with the name 'Newboned', and in 1895 a mill was still in existence in Newbound Lane.
From 1154, the land at Teversal was owned by the Barre family (sometimes spelled 'Barry'). This family continued as Lords of the Manor of Teversal until 1434 when Johannis Barre, the last male in the line, passed the land on to his daughter Christina, who had married into the Greenhalghe family.
The Greenhalghe's remained as Lords of the Manor until the death of Christina's grandson Roger in 1562. He willed his lands at Teversal to his son-in-law Francis Molyneux, and this family remained attached to the village for nearly 150 years.
The Molyneux family was closely connected with mining, and in about 1703 Sir John Molyneux added a 'sough' or drainage ditch - which, even then, cost about £20,000. The Molyneux Pit was the scene of a colliery disaster in 1869, when four men were drowned after they struck an old water level.
Finally, in 1830, Henrietta Anna Howard Molyneux married John George, the third Earl of Carnarvon. The Carnarvons were Lords of the Manor for 99 years, until the death of Lady Elizabeth Carnarvon in 1929.
In 1861, Teversal comprised 69 houses and 351 inhabitants.
Page created 4th July 1998 by Webmaster - updated
22nd April 2004
Postcard from the collection of Webmaster