Nottinghamshire Parish Church Database


Churches by Dedication 
St. Helen to St. Mary

indicates photo can be viewed on the Nottinghamshire Church Photographs website

Church Name Parish Date Built Notes
St Helen Burton Joyce 14th Cent Founded in the time of Edward the Confessor. Restored 1879
St Helen Grove Built 1882 Built on the site of an older church
St Helen Kneeton 15th Cent
St Helen Selston 11th-12th Cent Norman
St Helen South Wheatley ? The church was taken down in 1883, except the tower
St Helen Stapleford 13th Cent An older building stood on the site - part of which may have been incorporated into the building. Modernised in 1785
St Helen Thorney Built 1849 The earlier saxon church was pulled down because of its small size
St Helen Thoroton 12th Cent Chapelry to the parish of Orston
St Helen Trowell 13th Cent
St Helen West Burton ? Demolished c1886, and parish joined with North Wheatley
St Helena South Scarle 13th Cent
St Helena West Leake 12th Cent Restored in 1878.
St James Halloughton 13th Cent Restored in late 1800's
St James Normanton on Soar 13th Cent Restored after fire in 1986
St James Nottingham, Standard Hill Built 1808 Extra-Parochial area
St James Papplewick 14th Cent Tower dated at 14th Cent. Rest rebuilt in 1795
St James the Great Brinsley Built 1837 Originally called St Saviours. Chapelry of Greasley before 1862.
St James the Great Haughton unknown Chapelry of Walesby. The chapel was "in ruins" in 1912. Further information can be viewed on the Southwell Diocese Church History Project
St John Hucknall Torkard Built 1877
St John Scofton Built 1877
St John of Beverley Scarrington 13th Cent
St John of Beverley Whatton 13th Cent Nave and Tower rebuilt in 1870
St John of Jerusalem Winkburn 11th Cent
St John the Baptist Beeston Built 1843-4 Ancient church demolished in 1842
St John the Baptist Clarborough 12th Cent Completely restored 1874
St John the Baptist Colwick 13th Cent Located next to Colwick Hall. Was in ruins from 1937, and it is now classed as a listed building at risk. You can view a photograph of this church at http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/
St John the Baptist East Markham 15th Cent
St John the Baptist Gunthorpe Built 1849 Chapelry to Lowdham parish
St John the Baptist Misson 15th Cent Restored 1882 & 1886. Repaired in 1894 after being struck by lightening
St John the Baptist Nottingham, Leen Side Built 1843 Formed as a parish in 1844. In 1911 the EP area of St James, Standard Hill was added to it. This church was bombed in an air raid during May 1941, and was later demolished. You can view a photograph of this church at http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/
St John the Baptist South Collingham 12th Cent
St John the Baptist Stanford on Soar 13th Cent
St John the Baptist Treswell 13th-15th Cent  
St John the Divine Bulwell, Quarry Rd Built 1884 Chapel of Ease to St Mary, Bulwell
St John the Divine Colston Bassett Built 1892 "Victorian Gothic" New church built to be nearer to the village. Replaced old church of St Mary.
St John the Evangelist Carlton in Lindrick 11th Cent Saxon
St John the Evangelist Carrington, Mansfield Rd Built 1843 Formed a parish in 1843 from Basford parish
St John the Evangelist Kirkby Woodhouse Built 1860
St John the Evangelist Mansfield Built 1856
St John the Evangelist Perlthorpe Built 1876 Built on site of older church?
St John the Evangelist Worksop Built 1868 Formed as a parish in 1867 from the parish of St Mary & St Cuthbert
St Jude Mapperley Built 1877 Chapel of ease to St Ann, Nottingham
St Katherine Teversal 11th-12th Cent Norman. Aka St Catherines.
St Laurence Gonalston 13th Cent
St Laurence Norwell Built 1200  
St Laurence Thorpe by Newark late 15th Cent
St Lawrence Blidworth 11th Cent Originally Saxon, aka Chapel of St Lawrence. Old church fell down in 1736. Replaced with St Mary.
St Lawrence Gotham 12th Cent
St Leodegarious Basford, Church St 12th Cent Mostly rebuilt in 1859. During restoration in 1889, tower collapsed, doing much damage to main body of the church.
St Leonard Newark-on-Trent Built 1874  
St Leonard Ragnall 15th Cent Church named St Oswald in 1912 directory
St Leonard Wollaton 15th Cent
St Luke Bramcote ? "Ancient" church. Tower is still standing within old churchyard and is known locally as the "sunken church",  - formerly a chapelry of Attenborough
St Luke Broughton Sulney 13th Cent aka Upper Broughton. Church formerly known as St Oswalds. Altered many times
St Luke Hickling 13th Cent Rebuilt 19th Cent incorp some 13th cent features
St Luke Kinoulton Built 1793 Built by Henry, Earl of Gainsborough in 1793, closer to village. Original church of St Wilfrid was abandoned and demolished before 1800.
St Luke Nottingham, Carlton Road Built 1863 Formed as a parish in 1863, out of the parish of St Mary, Nottingham. Closed in 1924, and demolished October 1925. You can view a photograph of this church at http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/ 
St Luke Shireoaks Built 1861 Formed into a parish in 1865 from the parishes of Worksop (Notts) and Anston-cum-Membris (Yorks). A previous chapel at Shireoaks (erected early 1800's) was turned into a schoolroom at that time. You can view a photograph of this church at http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/ 
St Luke Stoke Bardolph Built 1844 Chapelry to Gedling parish. Built on the site of an older structure
St Luke Upper Broughton 13th Cent aka Broughton Sulney. Church formerly known as St Oswalds. Altered many times
St Margaret Aspley Built 1935  
St Margaret Bilsthorpe Built cir 1400
St Margaret Owthorpe Rebuilt 1650 Built on the site of an older and larger church, only the north wall remains of the previous building
St Margarets Nottingham, London Road Built 1894 Chapel of Ease to St Saviour
St Mark Bestwood Village Built 1886 Built as a mission church to Emmanuel
St Mark Mansfield Built 1896
St Mark Nottingham, Windsor St Built 1855 Formed as a parish in 1855, from the parish of St Mary, Nottingham.  Demolished
St Mark Woodthorpe Built 1962  
St Martin Bilborough Built cir 1400 aka St Martin of Tours?
St Martin Bole 14th Cent  
St Martin North Leverton 12th Cent  
St Martin Ranby Built 1898 Mission Church to All Saints, Babworth. Was described as an "Iron Structure" in 1912
St Martin Saundby 14th Cent Chancel added in 1886 - now closed?
St Martin Sherwood Built 1937
St Mary Arnold 12th Cent Supposed to have been first built in 1176. Nave and chancel date from 1320, and tower from 1450. Restored during 19th century.
St Mary Barnstone Built 1855 Chapelry to St Andrew, Langar-cum-Barnstone. Rebuilt in 1855
St Mary Bleasby 13th Cent
St Mary Car Colston 14th Cent
St Mary Colston Bassett Built 1293 Built on the site of an older church. Was disused in 18th cent. Now in ruins. A photograph of the ruins can be viewed at www.picturethepast.org.uk 
St Mary East Leake 11th Cent
St Mary Eastwood Built 1858 Built on site of an earlier church. In 1963 the main part of the church was destroyed by fire, leaving only the tower remaining. The tower is still standing, but has been joined by a modern structure dating from 1967. 
St Mary Edwinstowe 11th Cent
St Mary Fiskerton Built 1874 Chapel/Mission Church. Part of Rolleston parish until it was amalgamated with Morton in 1884
St Mary Greasley 11th Cent
St Mary Kilvington 13th Cent
St Mary Norton Cuckney Built 1100
St Mary Orston 12th Cent
St Mary Radcliffe on Trent Built 1879 Rebuilt on site of older church
St Mary Staunton 11th-12th Cent Norman
St Mary West Stockwith Built 1722 Formerly a chapelry of Misterton, until formed into a parish in 1892.
St Mary Westwood Built 1898
St Mary Wollaton Park Built 1938  
St Mary & All Saints Bingham 12th Cent Restored in 1845
St Mary & All Saints Hawksworth 13th Cent Rebuilt in 1851, but has a partly Norman tower
St Mary & All Saints Shelton 13th Cent
St Mary & All Saints Willoughby on the Wolds 12th Cent
St Mary Magdalene Keyworth 13th Cent
St Mary Magdalene Newark-on-Trent 13th Cent Built during reign of Henry VI
St Mary Magdalene Sutton in Ashfield 12th Cent Many alterations and additions
St Mary Magdalene Walkeringham 15th Cent
St Mary Magdalene & All Saints Hucknall Torkard 12th Cent aka St James
St Mary of the Purification Blidworth Built 1740 Replaced Chapel of St Lawrence which fell down in 1736 Opened in 1740. Enlarged 1839.
St Mary the Virgin Attenborough 12th Cent
St Mary the Virgin Bunny 13th Cent Known as the Cathederal of the Wolds
St Mary the Virgin Carlton on Trent Built 1851 Rebuilt 1852 on site of older Norman chapel of ease to Norwell parish. Became a parish in its own right in 1875
St Mary the Virgin Clifton with Glapton 11th Cent Built next to Clifton Hall, now part of Nottm University.
St Mary the Virgin Egmanton 10th-12th Cent Also described as "Our Lady of Egmanton Parish and Shrine Church"
St Mary the Virgin Lowdham 12th Cent
St Mary the Virgin Nottingham, High Pavement 11th Cent Built during reign of Henry VII - Rebuilt 15th Cent  (1881 D)
St Mary the Virgin Plumtree 11th Cent On site of a 9th cent church. Existing building inc some saxon brickwork
St Mary the Virgin Southwell 12th-14th Cent aka Southwell Minster
St Mary the Virgin & All Souls Bulwell, Highbury Rd Built 1850 Church built on site of earlier 12th century church

indicates photo can be viewed on the Nottinghamshire Church Photographs website

All Hallows - St Gregory   |     St Helen - St Mary    |    St Matthew -St Winifred    |     Back to Index


Database created by Webmaster 20 April 1999.
Page created 25th March 2002 - updated 24th January 2005